Working double duty: can students be successful while holding a part-time job?

Students express how they're able to succeed in school while having a job or being a part of other extracurriculars.

Nathalie Monroy, Staff Writer

For many teens, balancing school and work can be quite stressful. However, some Robinson students have found ways to make it more manageable, and they have some tips on how to make it easier for others.

For Stephanie Mondeja (’19), who works at Home Depot, work is simply more enjoyable than school.

“It’s less demanding and more nonchalant– you do your work without all the stress of teachers and students,” Mondeja said.

Most people think students only work for some extra cash, and while that may be true, that’s not the case for Mondeja.

“I needed to take up a job to pay my car insurance and payments,” Mondeja said. “I also thought it was time to start saving up money for college and rent for when I’d be moving out.”

Mondeja currently works six days out of the week. Despite that, she’s able to maintain a specific day for homework.

“I made up a schedule where I have every Saturday off, mainly for studying.”

What usually hinders a student from getting a job is managing time for homework. But Jonathan Joyner (’19) has found ways to manage his priorities, and has achieved it quite successfully.

“I mainly work on the weekends, but as soon as I get home, I put my phone away and knock out my homework first. That’s the only way I can get my homework done,” Joyner said. “Do not procrastinate, get it done first.”

As for students who are more involved with school, it does get a bit more difficult. Especially for Alyssa Collier (’19), who not only balances school and work, but is also a member of Robinson’s Starlets. One would think that with so much to handle, their grades would eventually slip. Fortunately, that’s not the case for Collier.

“I’ve actually had straight A’s all throughout high school,” Collier said. “On my days off from Starlets, I work night shifts and it’s given me good time management skills.”

In short, students believe that working while being a student can be a beneficial experience that, if done right, can help students learn to prioritize and be responsible for the future.

Nathalie Monroy, Staff writer
Nathalie is a junior and this is her first year as a staff writer. Outside of reporting, she likes taking frequent naps.