Robinson’s celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month

Robinson represents and appreciates Hispanic culture at school.

Photo Hanna Malone

Frances Montanez Cruz (’20), Mauricio Pérez Escalante (’23), Joshua Coleman (’21) and Eilyn Garcia (’21) dance at lunch on Friday, Oct. 11.

Hanna Malone, Staff Writer

National Hispanic Heritage Month lasts from Sept. 15 to Oct.15, but was recognized at a closer magnification by Robinson High School from Oct.7 to Oct.11. It was celebrated by posters that featured a variety Hispanic country flags over the walls of the school. Cultural dancing and singing presentations also took place during the week and a buffet was held after school on Friday evening in the courtyard.

“I was really pleased by the excitement and student involvement this week,” Siara Espejo, one of Robinson’s Spanish teachers, said. “Students truly invested their time and effort into their posters and their various presentations at lunch. I just hope we are able to build and do more next year!”

Eilyn Garcia (’21), a Robinson student from Cuba, choreographed the dance performances from this past week, spending a great deal of time after school to practice and instruct her peers.

“Dancing is a huge part of my culture,” Garcia (’21) said. “I’ve liked to dance since I was little. It’s my passion; it’s what I use to express all of my feelings.”

On Thursday, Ana Valencia (’20), a student from Mexico, sang a rendition of Selena Quintanilla’s “Si Una Vez” during all three lunch periods.

“I chose that particular song because Selena is so well-known in the U.S., and since the majority of the audience was non-Hispanic I wanted them to be able to at least be able to recognize the artist.” Valencia said.

Cultural representation is important to many people at Robinson, which has a 19.35% Hispanic ethnic demographic, making up a large portion of the school. Many believe that it is important for cultures to be recognized and appreciated, as culture is the foundation of a person’s beliefs and values.

“To me, culture is a collection of memories from my childhood,” Said Laura Nava (’21) from Venezuela, “It’s made up of exciting experiences, events and traditions of my life back home [in Venezuela]. Culture really plays a big role in who I am today.