A look at the Oscars

The 90th Oscars' nominations have been announced- and they've certainly got viewers talking.

The 90th Academy Awards ceremony is set for March 4, 2018.

Brooke Volpi, Staff Writer

The 90th Oscars is shaping up to be one to remember. Jimmy Kimmel is set to reprise his role as host, hopefully bringing the same hilarity as last year without another best picture flub.

This Oscars comes in a season of Hollywood conflict– at the Golden Globes, many actors and actresses wore black to support #MeToo and #TimesUp, movements focused on taking down widespread sexual harassment in the workplace. Additionally, many artists who attended the Grammys wore white roses to support #Timesup. However, there has been no mention of such a movement at the Oscars.

Despite the situation in Hollywood, from year to year, award show to award show, some things never change. The nominations for this year’s Oscars brings the same excitement and dismay as each one before it.

Wonder Woman, starring Gal Gadot and directed by Patty Jenkins, despite being a box-office hit and a widely adored film, was not nominated for a single Oscar, a move that was widely regarded as a snub. Another surprising snub was that of the viral horror film It, starring Bill Skarsgård and directed by Andy Muschietti. Much to the dismay of horror fans, the terrifying Pennywise failed to earn a nomination.

The Shape of Water, directed by Guillermo del Toro, leads the night in nominations, bringing in a staggering 13. Dunkirk, directed by Christopher Nolan, follows, earning eight. Other big scorers were Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, with seven, and Lady Bird as well as Blade Runner 2049 earning five.

Many of the nominees are  some of the biggest names in Hollywood, including Meryl Streep (The Post), Denzel Washington (Roman J. Israel, Esq.), and Allison Janney (I, Tonya). However, some newcomers were also received nominations, such as Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out), Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird), and Timothée Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name).

This historic Oscars is certainly not expected to disappoint.

Best Picture

Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Post, The Shape of Water, and Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Actor in  leading role

Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name), Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread), Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out), Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour), Denzel Washington (Roman J. Israel, Esq)

Actress in a leading role

Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water), Frances McDormand (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri), Margot Robbie (I, Tonya), Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird), and Meryl Streep (The Post)

Actor in a supporting role

Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project), Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri), Richard Jenkins (The Shape of Water), Christopher Plummer (All the Money in the World), and Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)

Actress in a supporting role

Mary J. Blige (Mudbound), Allison Janney (I, Tonya), Lesley Manville (Phanton Thread), Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird), and Octavia Spencer (The Shape of Water).

Animated Feature Film

Boss Baby, the Breadwinner, Coco, Ferdinand, and Loving Vincent.

The Oscars Pre- Show starts at 6:30 p.m. EST/3:30 p.m. PST.

The Oscars telecast on Sunday, March 4, 2018, will now begin at 8:00 p.m. EST/5:00 p.m. PST, a 30 minutes earlier than prior showings.

Brooke Volpi, staff writer
Brooke Volpi is a sophomore staff writer and this is her first year writing on the journalism staff. She also plays flag football and soccer for Robinson and plays club soccer with Tampa Bay United.