• Conference night is at 4:30pm on Wed. Feb. 27

Taco Dirty is a place to taco-bout

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taco Dirty is a place to taco-bout

The

The "Na-cho Average Bowl" at Taco Dirty.

Photo Anna Woddward

Photo Anna Woddward

Photo Anna Woddward

Anna Woodward, Staff Writer

Tampa’s restaurants have always made it stand out. No matter where you are, there is always a good restaurant somewhere close, and a variety of cuisines to choose from. One of Tampa’s newest additions is Taco Dirty,  a Mexican restaurant with a serving service similar to that of its sister restaurant, Fresh Kitchen.

From the outside, Taco Dirty looks like any other hip Tampa restaurant. It’s painted in a color scheme of purples and greens, with a simple mural of plants on its wall. However, once you step inside, the restaurant is not exactly what you’d picture.

While Taco Dirty has both outdoor and indoor seating, its indoor seating stands out. The restaurant is decorated like a traditional diner with a modern twist. The signs describing the different foods that you can get are simple, yet fit in with the diner feel. The seating is equipped with both stools and tables, and while the restaurant isn’t huge, you still feel like you have your own personal space. The walls are decorated with signs and decorative avocados as well as plants. One detailed that I noticed and liked was the planters hanging above some of the tables- they’re made out of disco balls, with the top half cut off and storing a hanging plant.

The atmosphere at Taco Dirty makes the experience even more enjoyable. The staff is friendly, and the food is easy to see and choose from. The only thing I would change is the music inside. It’s not bad music, just very loud. So Taco Dirty may not be the best place to eat if you like having a steady conversation with your meal.

Another-and probably most notable-aspect of Taco Dirty is the food. Taco Dirty has a variety of meals to choose from, including bowls, tacos and quesadillas. As mentioned before, the food is set up like Fresh Kitchen (servers are behind the counter and put together your meal as you move along the line). This makes it easy to decide what you want, which is important for a restaurant with assembly line service like Taco Dirty. For your meal, you can choose from a range of proteins, veggies, and other condiments and additions. Another fun feature is the variety of lemonades served in addition to water and soda.

I ordered the “Na-cho Average Bowl”, which came with chips, grilled steak, sweet potatoes, lettuce, and queso. My meal was the ideal combination of flavors, and easy to eat, despite being a stereotypical messy meal. Not only was the food great, but the portions were the perfect size.

Another thing that I noticed was a sign hanging near the bathrooms, which stated some of the benefits about Taco Dirty’s food. Among these were local and handmade corn tortillas, antibiotic and hormone-free meats, gluten-free and dairy-friendly fry batter, and vegan-friendly and gluten-free options.

Overall, if you’re looking for a new place to try for lunch or dinner, consider Taco Dirty. It has options for almost any diet, as well as a pleasant ambiance. Its decorations and food make this restaurant stand out from other Mexican restaurants, and other Tampa restaurants in general.

If YOU GO:

Address2221 W. Platt St.

Hours: Monday  11:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Tuesday – Saturday  11:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Sunday  11:00 AM – 9:00 PM

Website: https://www.facebook.com/tacodirty/

Anna Woodward, Staff Writer

Anna Woodward is a sophomore and staff writer. When she's not writing stories, she enjoys listening to music, playing the piano and watching movies.