• Prom is Saturday, April 13

Review: New Spider-Man hits home for kids of all ages

Miles Morales is the new spider-man, but he's not the only one

Promotional poster for the newest Spider-Man

Emersyn Brown, Multimedia Editor

In the history of big screen Spider-Man, there has never been a black teenager as the star of the show. As of the release of the Golden Globe winning Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, black teens have been brought into the spotlight. I’m so happy to report that Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse is an amazing movie that everyone should go see, and then immediately see again.

The film is focused around the life of Miles Morales, a boarding school student in New York, who becomes Spider-Man while working through problems with his uncle, as any normal teen would with a person they trust. Into the Spiderverse is an amazing portrayal of a young black teen with a breathtaking bond with his father and mother. Throughout the movie, Miles learns to become Spider-Man by overcoming his fears– about both his newfound powers and his familial relationships, while meeting other versions of Spider-Man along the way.

The plot of the movie is fast-paced and there are many characters that are new and have not been mentioned in popular culture. The different versions of Spider-Man that are introduced in the film, like Spider-Ham and Spider-Noir, stretch across different times, cultures and dimensions. Yet despite the witty dialogue and breath-taking animation, the best part of the movie is that Miles’ parents are still together and that he has a strong connection with his uncle.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse is a movie that I’ve been waiting to see. Having a black teenager be the main character is something that you don’t get to see everyday. The influence that representation has over children nowadays is incredible. Many small kids learn different behaviors through watching characters on a screen. These characters can become friends for these children.  Depicting them with a strong bond with family and having them be incredibly smart and caring can only be a step in the right direction. Spiderverse‘s the creators took this ability to impact children of all ages into consideration and played their cards just right when it came to developing Miles’ character.

The many relationships Miles has with his family and friends develops throughout the movie and is something that every kid can learn from. A big theme in the movie was Miles’ relationship with his father. Their interactions are a huge example of how a father-son relationship can grow and change from something where every interaction is dreaded, to one where there is an open line of communication and understanding.

For me, this movie is a must-see for all audiences. The animation is amazing and unlike anything that has appeared in the mainstream, and the plot is something that will make you laugh, cry and keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Please go see the movie, whatever you do. You won’t regret it.

Emersyn Brown, Multimedia Editor

Emersyn Brown is a junior and Multimedia Editor. Outside of journalism, she is a member of the Robinson girls golf team and enjoys taking pictures of...