It’s All About the ‘MUN’ey’! ‘MUN’ey’! ‘MUN’ey!

Gabriela O'Brion, Staff Writer

In the 9th grade Inquiry Skills classes, students are getting a taste of what it’s like to be in the United Nations. Each student had been assigned a country and is required to write a paper, and now they’re using that knowledge in a Model United Nations (MUN) Simulation. The simulation lasts two days and the topic of discussion is the India-Pakistan dispute over Jammu and Kashmir and the use of nuclear weapons.

“[The simulation] really supplemented my knowledge on how difficult it is to come to a consensus,” said Liliam Clavijo (’17), who represented France.

The purpose of this assignment is to allow students to experience what it’s like to be involved in world issues. They must role-play as a delegate from their assigned country and debate over the topic at hand. When it’s over, they are expected to have come up with and agree upon on a solution.

“I thought [the simulation] is really fun and makes me want to do it again,” said Morgan Felt (’17), who represented Pakistan. “I think I might join [MUN] next year.”

When the simulation is finished, students are expected to have increased knowledge on world issues as well as the procedures in the United Nations. They will be graded on participation in addition to overall knowledge of their country’s views.

“This is my first time on chairing a Model UN committee and I think that the freshmen are doing a pretty good job,” said Claire Chen (‘16), who moderated Mr. Hollis’s 2.3 Inquiry Skills MUN simulation.

Students will leave the simulation enlightened about not only the ideas and views of their assigned country, but also those of other countries and their own personal view. Many of the students agree that this is a very  fun, yet still educational experience.

“I was in MUN so I had to debate a lot with kids who were older than me,” said Teresa Manipadam (’17). “In the simulation, I could debate with kids my own age, which was really fun.”