Electric Circuit Day

Photo J. Fontes

Photo J. Fontes

Justin Fontes, Staff Writer

Today, Physics Honors and Advanced Placement classes were given the opportunity to build electric circuits. Students were given three weeks to construct their group’s circuits. Groups that ranged from one to four students got together on their own time to build, test, and enjoy this hands-on experience.

“My group used four and a half potatoes with copper wire and zinc screw stuck in them to power a calculator,” said Sebastian Molinares (’15).

The students were not limited to specific power sources or items receiving the electrical energy. Some students built the average battery-to-bulb configuration; some used vinegar to power clocks; and some used potatoes to power calculators.

“For me, this was a great learning experience, because I found out how to calculate the induced current of the circuit and the force of the electric field,” said Shelby Lee.

Most students stated that they had a great time, and would definitely encourage offers to take physics. Mrs. Kruse, the physics teacher of the traditional program, believes that students learn best from hands-on experiences. This electric circuit lab was a success, and the kids cannot wait for the next lab.

Justin Fontes, Yearbook Student Life Editor
Senior Justin Fontes is that kid that you see walking around with very short shorts. They are called “Chubbies” just in case you were wondering. He is the kind of person that likes to have a fun time. He’s the kind of person that is friendly to everyone. What you may not know about him...