No More Bake Sales in Cafeteria, Say Admins

Photo I. Hanewicz

Marissa Rogers, Staff Writer

Since the beginning of the last school year, healthier options have been introduced into the cafeteria and across campus. Vegetables and fruit are always available as sides to lunches, potato chips have been substituted with Sun Chips, and the new salad bar provides an even wider range of healthy choices.

The salad bar has been a great hit, with lines stretching during each lunch period with students eager to take advantage of the alternative to the hot entrées provided.

Outside the cafeteria, the vending machines have undergone a complete makeover. As most students have noticed, M&M’s and Skittles have been replaced with kettle chips and whole grain Rice Krispy treats, Doritos are now reduced fat.

These small changes have brought a lot of attention to the healthy switch that has occurred, especially a new restriction being implemented this year:

No bake sales during all lunch periods.

First no junk food and now no baked sales during lunch? What’s going on?

Let’s back track. The rule comes from the USDA’s new Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act , or HHKA, that went through in 2010, helping to ensure that children in schools throughout the nation have access to the proper nutrition and to help lower child obesity.

With HHKA in place, nutrition standards have increased across the country; nutrition standards that do not include desserts like brownies, cookies, and cupcakes, common baked treats sold during school lunches as fundraisers.

HHKA is not; however, imposing federal restrictions on bake sales. The act leaves the decision to each school. Chef Patrick Artz, who joined the school last January, shed light on the choice to to no longer hold bake sales.

“With renovations [to the cafeteria] I’m now selling items that I did not sell at all last year,” said Artz, “[With the renovations finished] I can now sell a lot more things, like the iced teas, new cookies, and Gatorades… we want students to spend money in here.”

What does that mean for clubs and sports teams that depend on that push from bake sales for fundraising? For one, candy sales are not affected by this new rule and it doesn’t limit sales before school hours or during classes.

The administration was on board with not allowing competitive sales during lunches. “That doesn’t mean bake sales cannot be held,” Trina Rodriguez said, “I’m sure there are other ways to have bakes sales and raise money.”