A Promotion, a Principal and the Past

Photo Isabel Hanewicz

At a signing day ceremony Feb. 3, Principal Johnny Bush addresses athletes and their families. Bush was recently named the new head of the Office of Professional Standards for the school district.

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

Wednesday, March 30, 7:23 a.m. Less than 24 hours after being officially appointed as the school district’s next head of the Office of Professional Standards, principal Johnny Bush watches the students he’s led for the past five years at Robinson walk across the courtyard. He greets them, some by name, as they pass by.

“Hi, sir,” one says.

“Hey, good morning, guys,” Bush replies.

Although Bush knows his job as principal is more concerned with the big picture, that doesn’t prevent him from learning as many faces as possible. Bush is a people person, and he likes talking to his Knights, something he has only two months left to do.

“At some day in five or six years you’re going to be doing things on a national level or on a world level and I’m going to miss seeing you guys in the infant stage of your success,” Bush said, gesturing to the students rushing to get to class before the 7:25 a.m. tardy bell. “I think I’m going to miss things like this more than anything.”

I’m going to miss seeing you guys in the infant stage of your success”

Next school year, Bush’s mornings will look a little different. If being the principal is seeing the big picture, heading up the Office of Professional Standards is like realizing the picture is only one puzzle piece in a box of 500.

“It’s an opportunity to serve in a different capacity because I look at every job as, you know, how do I do this job in education and do what’s best for kids?,” he said about his new position. “It still gives me an opportunity to talk to schools about things that are good to education and hopefully we can keep people on that page.”

Robinson, Bush said, was always intended to be the last school at which he worked, so he could end his career in schools as a Knight. While he hoped to be able to stay at the school long enough to see the class of 2017 graduate, he notes that he’s lucky to be able to finish out the 2015-2016 school year.

Regardless, the new job excites Bush. He knows he can help the school district’s teachers just as he’s helped the over 1,500 students and faculty of Robinson High School.

I don’t say no and I don’t say yes. I say how do we make it work for the benefit of Robinson and the benefit of our students”

The district has yet to pick Bush’s successor, but whoever it is will have big shoes to fill, and not just because the former defensive back and safety for Concordia University wears a size 12 shoe.

Since spring 2012, when he took over as principal, the school has not received a grade below an “A”. While Bush notes the school’s grade can’t be attributed to him alone, his name surely will be tied to the school’s initial success.

“What legacy? Well, I’d like to leave a legacy of cooperation…I don’t say no and I don’t say yes. I say how do we make it work for the benefit of Robinson and the benefit of our students,” he said.

“I think the legacy I will leave here is one that says, ‘We tried to do a lot of things because we knew they were best for kids.'”

How will you remember Principal Johnny Bush? Let us know in the comments section below. Please read our comments policy here before posting a comment.