Williams’ Robert Bhoolai Appointed as Next Robinson Principal

Photo I. Hanewicz

Future Robinson principal Robert Bhoolai grins during a school board meeting held May 24 where he was appointed to the position.

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

Hillsborough County School Board members unanimously appointed Robert Bhoolai, Williams Middle Magnet School’s current Assistant Principal for Student Affairs, as Robinson High’s principal during their May 24 board meeting.

Bhoolai will replace current principal Johnny Bush, who was appointed the next head of the Office of Professional Standards for the district earlier this year. Bhoolai says he’s excited to take on his appointment, which is effective June 13.

“I was on the [Robinson] campus for about 45 minutes when I did my interview and I fell in love with the school,” Bhoolai said. “I definitely want to be transparent in everything we do at Robinson so everyone understands that we are there to support them, support the students.”

Bhoolai has worked in the district since 2007: four years as a teacher at Turkey Creek Middle School and Mann Middle School and five as an Assistant Principal for Student Affairs at Spoto High School and Williams.

As a first-time principal, Bhoolai hopes to continue Robinson’s high precedent for success: consistent “A” grades since Bush took over in spring of 2012, the highest number of National Merit Finalists in the county in 2016 and 2016 state finals appearances in eight sports, including a state championship in flag football.

“I love [everything] that’s going on at Robinson High School right now,” he said. “Really my plan is to go in and observe and see what’s going on and see how as a leader I can support what’s going on and take it to the next level.”

Bhoolai noted, with a smile, that he wants his future student body to know him as approachable, even if sometimes he may not look it.

“Don’t ever be afraid to come and speak to me, my face may look serious but it’s only because I’m pondering on how to make the school a better place for them.”