Drum major goes All American

Marching Knights drum major Bryce Buckland ('18) zips up his jacket as part of his initiation into the U.S Army All American Marching Band.

Photo L. Martin

Photo L. Martin

Lillian Martin, News Editor

Marching band drum major Bryce Buckland (‘18) was welcomed into the 2018 U.S Army All American Marching Band (USAAAMB) on Tuesday, October 3. He’s one of 125 members chosen and will be the sole drum major for the band.

The band will consist of high school senior instrumentalists and color guard members. All members had to go through a nomination and audition process. It is very difficult to get in, as only 125 members are chosen from hundreds of students who auditioned from all over the country.

Buckland, who has served as the Marching Knights drum major for three years, feels privileged to hold this position.

“It’s a very prestigious honor, and I will take it humbly and do the best of my abilities and keep working hard. I feel pretty ready for this,” Buckland said.

As drum major, Buckland has worked closely with band director Christopher Revett during his time as a Marching Knight. Revett nominated Buckland for this honor and worked with him to complete his application.

“I was super excited that we had somebody from the Robinson band that actually made the group. To be the only drum major for the band, it’s a huge honor,” Revett said. “He’s always been the best band member you could possibly be.”

Members of the U.S Army came to Robinson to officially initiate Buckland into the band, including Jimmy Lee Lawson Jr, who has been serving in the Army for 24 years. He mentioned, more than once, how much of an achievement this is for not just Buckland, but also for all of Robinson’s band.

“Sometimes the marching band can be more exciting than the game,” Lawson said. “Its actually harder to achieve being in the marching band than it is to make the football team, since there are more marching band members than football players in the country.”

All members of the USAAAMB receive a week long, all-expenses paid trip to San Antonio, Texas. Band members will work with award-winning high school and collegiate marching band instructors as well as musicians from the the U.S. Army Field Band.  The week culminates with Buckland leading the USAAAMB halftime performance at the US Army All-American Bowl in the Alamodome.

Additionally, the Army is sponsoring their USAAAMB member’s trip and Revett will accompany Buckland to Texas. The Army is also providing Revett with professional development and discussions with other band directors from across the country.

Watch the US Army All-American Bowl live on NBC on January 6, 2018 at 2:00 p.m to see Buckland in action.