Robinson celebrates hispanic heritage month

Emily Bowlin , Staff Writer

Hispanic Heritage month is in full effect at Robinson as Spanish Honor Society brings awareness to the hispanic culture through fun activities, games and music.

At all lunches last week, the student body had the opportunity to witness some of the Spanish culture. On Monday, there was a dance performance to the spanish song ” Despacito”. Tuesday was dominoes day, where students were able to play  dominoes during their lunch period. Thursday and Friday consisted of more performances of Spanish dances in the courtyard.

All these fun performances and games led up to the hispanic heritage festival which occurred on Saturday, October 14, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in Robinson’s courtyard.

“[We hold the] festival because we want to share with other people our culture, and this is the best way we can express how hispanics are. We love to celebrate everything,” said Edna Robles, Spanish honors society’s sponsor. The festival included piñatas, hispanic dances performed by students, and dominos, which is a typical hispanic game.

During this month, the Spanish Honor society will also be collecting emergency supplies for disaster affected areas in Mexico and Puerto Rico. Some of the supplies being collected are canned food and water, toiletries, and first aid kits.

“The food drive is to help those who are in Mexico and Puerto Rico who cannot get supplies because of how they all lost all electricity and service due to hurricane Irma and Maria,” said Marissa Garcia (‘18), a member of the Spanish Honor Society. “It is important because since we are celebrating Hispanic heritage month, we are supporting those who are going through a very hard time.”

The collection started October 10 and will last all the way until October 20. Hurry and bring your supplies to Senora Robles in room 118.