Brian Hoover sets out for Spoto

Robinsons assistant principal for magnet curriculum, Brian Hoover, recently accepted a job at Spoto high school

Photo K. Corwin

Photo K. Corwin

Morgan Brazier, Managing Editor

For six years, Brian Hoover has been an assistant principal at Robinson High School but on Tuesday, August 14, at a School Board of Hillsborough County meeting, it was announced that Hoover would be moving to Spoto High School.

Hoover started at Robinson as an assistant principal of student affairs. After three years, he moved into the IB magnet program to take over the position of assistant principal for magnet curriculum.

At Spoto, Hoover will have a similar position to the one he has now. Currently he works with the magnet program at Robinson but at Spoto he will be the assistant principal for all curriculum, as Spoto does not have a magnet program.

“It’s a good opportunity for me to go to a school that’s a little bit different from Robinson in terms of programs that they offer and for me to see a different side of curriculum,” Hoover said.

Spoto is an achievement high school, meaning that it receives more support from the district than other Hillsborough county schools. According to the school district website, achievement schools are the district’s highest needs schools and the district will provide resources and personnel to have these schools achieve sustained student success.

Spoto will also be starting a collegiate academy this school year; a program that allows students to graduate with an associates degree (AA) from Hillsborough Community College. Hoover will be helping to implement the new academy.

“When you get into education you want to go and do good work and my time here at Robinson has been amazing but this is a good opportunity for me to do something that’s different and help another school and other students so I’m excited about it,” Hoover said.

Hoover’s move to Spoto surprised some Robinson students who have grown accustomed to having him around and are sad to see him go.

“He’s very encouraging, just as a person. You can just walk straight up to him and talk to him about absolutely anything,” Abby Duffy (’19) said. “He knew me and my whole family. He takes the time to get to know you and makes you feel very comfortable. You know that, no matter what you’re struggling with, he’s there to help you.”

Morgan Brazier, Staff Writer
Morgan Brazier is a sophomore and this is her first year on the journalism staff. She spends her free time reading books, watching Netflix, eating pizza and drinking tea.