Get your turkeys now!

The pandemic has even infected our Thanksgiving dinner.

Photo Cecilia Cheng

Graphic made on Canva depicting a turkey and a statistic on how much turkey is eaten on Thanksgiving.

Cecilia Cheng, A&E Editor

What’s a staple at all Thanksgiving dinners? Turkey of course. As of 2020, the National Turkey Federation estimated that 46 million turkeys are consumed every Thanksgiving in just America alone. This year, as Thanksgiving slowly approaches, the U.S. is in a nationwide turkey shortage, especially in smaller turkeys.

“Typically a 10 to 12 pound [turkey] up to 14 pounds is going to be more difficult [to find]. Anything over 16 pounds — they’ll certainly be more readily available,” Butterball CEO Jay Jandrain told “Good Morning America” on Friday.

Experts said that due to COVID, there have been smaller gatherings on Thanksgiving, meaning that no one is going to get a 40 lb turkey from the store. COVID has also caused labor shortages, resulting in lower production and skyrocketing prices for these gobblers.

Additionally, more and more people this year want a farm-raised turkey instead of just an ordinary grocery store one, which again, makes these turkeys even pricier and harder to find. Grocery store turkeys are factory bred, meaning they are “formulated” to grow to an irregular and unnaturally large size. These turkeys are treated under terrible conditions, just so they can grow at a faster rate for us humans to consume later.

“Since COVID-19 has happened we have noticed a lot more people leaning more towards the locally raised meats. It’s just fresher and cleaner,” voiced Colby Jones, the owner of Farrar out farms in Perryville, MO.

Many recommend starting to look for the perfect turkey now. Don’t be hesitant to get one because no one wants to be stuck with a frozen turkey or with three days of leftover turkey for dinner.

“Don’t wait until the week of thanksgiving to make that purchase,” Secretary of Agriculture Russell Redding said. “Be strategic and be patient. Plan today for Thanksgiving Day.”