What Happened to the School Spirit?

Christine Bocchino, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

As I walked up to the football field, I wondered if I had arrived too early. Wasn’t there supposed to be a game today?

The stadium lights were on, and the cheerleaders and Starlets were performing, but the crowd was eerily silent. In the midst of the sea of people, only four people showed the amount of school spirit which had been ever-present in previous years, especially at the last home game of the year.

Arielle Ellis (’14), Julia DeYoung (’14), Aaliyah Gordon (’14), and Jansen Maldonado (’15) cheered on the knights, painted up.

“No one ever has school spirit. The seniors last year had a LOT more spirit,” said DeYoung.

DeYoung’s opinion is reflected in most of the student body — what happened to the school spirit?

“We miss the fact that we had a section all to ourselves,” Ellis said. “Now there are babies and people telling us to sit down all the time.”

But are the football stands the only problem? As I sat in the past two pep rallies, something had definitely changed. Last year, students went crazy during the spirit competition, and the cheering during pep rally games could be heard all the way from Mango Street.

We need spirit. Most people want to cheer at games, and want to encourage the football team, but feel like other students are judging them.

“I would twerk,” said Maldonado, talking about what kind of actions we saw with last year’s seniors. “But…”

Well, maybe not as much spirit as last year…

About the Contributors
Christine Bocchino, RHSToday Editor-in-Chief
Christine Bocchino is a member of the class of 2014 at Robinson High School. She enjoys long walks on the beach, dancing, and she has been on the yearbook/newspaper staff for 3 years. She has dreamed of going to an Ivy League college for international affairs. She loves Sweettarts and the color pink. Follow her on Twitter at...
Justin Fontes, Yearbook Student Life Editor
Senior Justin Fontes is that kid that you see walking around with very short shorts. They are called “Chubbies” just in case you were wondering. He is the kind of person that likes to have a fun time. He’s the kind of person that is friendly to everyone. What you may not know about him...