• Conference night is at 4:30pm on Wed. Feb. 27

What are you doing, Snapchat?

Like most teens I know, I am not a fan of the new Snapchat update.

Back to Article
Back to Article

What are you doing, Snapchat?

Students compare the new snapchat update (left) with the former look (right).

Natalia McCalla, Staff Writer

The Snapchat app has made amazing updates in the past: notifying screenshots, unlimited amount of replays, group stories and group chats. These updates were easy for me to adapt to using and I could understand the update in a matter of minutes.

However, Snapchat, one of the most popular social media apps, recently introduced a new update and, in my opinion, it is completely terrible. I, along with many others, don’t understand how to use it. Snapchat users have been writing hateful articles about the new update, and making posts all around the internet insulting the update.

For the update, Snapchat has put personal stories together with personal snap chats on the left page of the app and put all discoveries on the right page. And now everyone’s Bitmoji (personal avatar) appears right next to their name. Additionally, every time someone adds to their public story, it puts their name above people you have recently snap chatted on your home page.

So, when you want to respond to a friend, you have to scroll all the way down past everybody’s story.

I like watching stories, some are really entertaining. However, I don’t like having to endlessly scroll to find another user if I am having a conversation with them. It’s annoying to have those stories supersede the people I actually talk to.

I also don’t like seeing everyone’s Bitmoji next to their name. Some Bitmojis are just pointless, and I don’t want to stare at that when I’m trying to snapchat people.

The Bitmoji and story placement makes everything look clustered on to the same page and it doesn’t seem reasonable. There is no need to have everything on one page and to have the discoveries on a separate one.

I personally watch some of the discover stories, such as Buzzfeed and Cosmopolitan, but now there is a whole page of them replacing where Snapchat stories used to be. The discoveries now feel commercialized, like they are trying to force snappers to watch them by making them have their own page.

I understand that Snapchat’s creators were probably attempting to make the app more beneficial for their users, but they need to put out a new update that reverses whatever they did to mess it up.

This is the first time Snapchat has received so much widespread hate. People post picture on social media of them printing out picture of their face and mailing it to people, as if to say even that is less difficult than the update.

Another person posted a picture from a screenshot of his messages of their friends sending pictures of their face. These jokes are all over social media, emphasizing that people rather go to the trouble of mailing and messaging pictures than using snap chat.

Honestly, I agree. The update isn’t working for me.

Natalia McCalla, Opinions Editor

Natalia is a junior and Opinions Editor. Outside of room 112, she works at Publix and is a safety and outside receiver for the JV flag football team.