Basketball Lady Knights Win Season Opener in 33-32 Thriller

Photo I. Hanewicz

Captain Charlotte Tuohy (’17) runs toward center court while Jada Flanagan (’18) follows behind.

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

In 2014, the Lady Knight’s basketball team lost to Steinbrenner by 20 points. This year, things were different. After holding the score at 4-4 for much of the first half before falling behind Steinbrenner, the team came back to take the lead in the last five minutes of the game, much to the delight of the energized student section.

“It felt awesome, it’s just a great way to start the season and have the momentum to carry us through,” said second-year head coach Stephanie Sweeney over the blasting music and buzzing crowd celebrating the Knight’s win.

Unlike other basketball teams, the team had an unusual start to the season when three of their varsity players: captain Chrisheena Rolack (’16), Christiana Rolack (’18) and Jada Flanagan (’18) were all first-year members of Robinson’s varsity volleyball team. None of the three had full basketball practice time until the volleyball season, which lasted until this past Saturday in the state semifinals, was over.

“They’re in between both times, so it was hard to mesh with the girls, but the girls did such a great job,” Sweeney said. “The volleyball team did so well, and then we all came together, so I’m just really proud of them.”

The Knights (1-0) take on the East Bay Indians in a non-district game Thursday, Nov. 12 at 7 p.m. at East Bay (7710 Old Big Bend Rd, Gibsonton, FL 33534).