One final goodbye

Isabel Hanewicz speaks at the 2015 FSPA District 4 Convention, where she was named the 2016 FSPA District 4 Student Representative.

Photo K. Weck

Photo K. Weck

Isabel Hanewicz, RHStoday Editor-in-Chief

Editor’s Note: Isabel Hanewicz joined the RHStoday.com staff in the fall of 2013 as a staff writer. She was the editor-in-chief from fall 2014 to spring 2017, helping lead the program to the two Pacemakers, a first in county history, and three All-Floridas. Individually, she has won numerous awards for her work, including 21 All-Floridas and two National Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. She has published over 400 stories over her career at rhstoday.com and will be attending the University of Southern California in the fall to major in journalism.

A few hours after the end of the last day of school, a friend noted in a group chat:

Isn’t it weird to think that in a few weeks, we may never see some of these people again.

Unlike firsts, lasts are harder to recognize. Often, we don’t recognize a last until it’s too late, until all we are left with is would, could and should.

Isabel and her first adviser, Jill Burns, after she won the 2014 FSPA Emerging Young Journalist of the Year award.

Leaving high school is a farewell to many things, some we realize and others we don’t.

This farewell is the former.

Since freshman year, this website has been an integral part of who I am both in Robinson and as a person. I am forever humbled and grateful for whatever chance, fate or luck drew me to 112.

To my advisers: Burns, you are the first person I have to thank. You taught me to believe I was capable of more and forced me to continue persevering, even when my goals seemed to slip out of reach. It’s your work ethic that as a leader I try to instill in others. Oben, we may be on opposite sides of the personality spectrum, but our differing ways of viewing situations only forced me to be a better leader and journalist. I know you care about this program’s continued success as much as I have and will help it grow in the future.

Matthew and Bailey, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank you. Even miles away, you two never failed to answer my (often frantic and late-night) questions, even when I’m sure you had many other pressing things to attend to in college.

To Isa, Michelle, Kaitlyn, Morgan, Leana, Natalia, Laura, Emily, Olivia, Sam and all the other seniors who’ve helped this program grow: thanks for challenging and inspiring me. To the underclassmen: I believe in your abilities. Make this program your own as we have made it our own, and accomplish what we could not.

Isabel takes photos at a regional final flag football game against Plant City in 2015.

Finally, a big thank you to every student, teacher and administrator whom I’ve interviewed. Mr. Brady and Mr. Hoover, thank you for supporting my endeavors even though it had nothing to do with getting my IB diploma. Mr. Bush, Mr. Bhoolai and Mrs. Lockett, thank you for the continued access you’ve granted to me and my program.

To all the coaches whose games I’ve covered, and especially Coach Taylor, Coach McCray and Coach Saunders, thank you for always treating me as an extension of your team. Watching your games from the sidelines was the best seat in the house.

And to you- whoever you are. I won’t claim to have told every story that needed telling or to have accomplished every goal I’d set out to achieve, yet I leave with a sense of fulfillment because of you all, the readers, and the knowledge that our site has made an impact, no matter how small.

Memories may fade, but stories are forever.

-Isabel Hanewicz, 2014-2017 RHStoday.com Editor-in-Chief