Lady Knights Take First Seed in District

Dylan Claughton, Staff Writer

It had been 33 years since the Lady Knights volleyball team’s last district title, but already this 5A District 11 team has defeated all of their district opponents, Spoto, Middleton, Blake and Lennard without a sweat.

“We lost some key seniors last year, our setter and outside hitter, but most of the girls on the team have been playing together,” Alexandria Gaertner said without worry.

Only some of the players from the 2011 season had returned, recruiting more girls from the previous junior varsity team and two freshmen.

“I’m doing my best to help out the upperclassmen,” noted Marry Sleet.  She is learning to grow as a player with being on varsity her first year in high school, which is not something common in high school volleyball.

With the teams previous season being so great, they feel more confident on going further into their season.

“We have our great moments, but we could always do something better,” Gaertner explained about the teams consistency in games.  Consistency is something volleyball team’s new coach’s, Christen Garcia, works very hard on with the team.

Coach Garcia has many years of experience with volleyball, so the team believes gaining this coach will take them further in post season.

“She knows everyone’s full potential, and if it isn’t showing, she’ll pull it out and make your try harder,” stated Sarah Ortiz.

So now the question is, how far will the team go in the 2012 volleyball season?

“I think we can win regionals and it to semifinals.” Gaertner said confidently. With this being her senior year, she would more than love to make it that far.

Now the Lady Knights are heading off to districts in first seed for the 2012 volleyball season.