• Spring Break is March 18 through 22

Seven Make It Official on National Signing Day

Edward "Ted" Kelly, Sports Writer

Seven total student-athletes signed letters of intent, including five football players, at a small ceremony in the Kevin McCarthy Media Center that began at 9 am on February 6. Flanked by family, friends, and a host of media personnel, Cory Johnson (Coker), Ruth Selznick (Rice), Martin Ruiz (Youngstown), Justin Madison (Iowa State), Bruce Hector (USF), Cody Hodgens (FIU) and Connor Rafferty (Samford) made their college choices official.

Martin Ruiz will be the first in his family to attend college, but he isn’t worried about being so far away from his family and the Tampa area.

“I feel like it’s [Youngstown] going to be a second home for the next four years,” said Ruiz. “I feel like it is a dream come true.”

Cody Hodgens, son of former Robinson head football coach Bud Hodgens, is happy about the opportunity to play close to home as a preferred walk on at FIU.

“I feel great starting my collegiate career,” Hodgens said. “I like both the school and the coaches.”

Hodgens was also grateful to the Robinson coaching staff for helping his secure the chance to play ball at the next level.

For Connor Rafferty, it was nice to finally have the decision made and final after a media and recruiting blitz after the new coaching staff at USF pulled but then did not pull his initial scholasrship offer.

“I got a lot of attention the last couple of weekends,” said Rafferty. “Samford was the best decision. I really liked the coaches and the school.”

Outgoing head football coach Mike DePue officially wrapped up his coaching duties as the ceremony came to an end about thirty minutes after it started.