Javier Arenas Achieves Personal, Professional Goals

Angelo Lemmerman and Caitlin Blaney, Staff Writer

Ever since Javier Arenas was six years old, he knew he was meant to play football. Arenas played all throughout high school and soon enough became committed and was certain he wanted to do it for a living.

“It all started when I was in eighth grade at Monroe, and my brother was here at Robinson already,” Arenas said. “He used to drag me up here to work out and I didn’t want to at the time.”

Even Arenas was not even in high school yet, but his brother dragged him along anyway.

“If I would have went to Gaither or Blake or Plant it would have not been the same situation,” he said.

In 2002 he started his football legacy at Robinson High School.

Arenas thrived at Robinson and became a star on kickoff and punt returns and also played cornerback.  He had six return TDs in 2005 and ran seven TDs back on special teams his senior year. Arenas then got selected for all state 1st team special teams returner.  Arenas was 5’9 and 180 lbs coming out of high school and consequently received only two college offers from Florida Atlantic and Alabama.  He received the offers just before signing day.  But his speed and vertical were amazing; he ran a 4.45 40 yard dash and had a 39 inch vertical.  Arenas said, “It was emotional getting few offers but it became my motivation to strive on and show what other colleges missed out on.”

He did just that as he became Alabama’s star team captain.  His transition from high school to college was easy because of all the work he put in in high school. He broke the SEC record for punting return yards and also touchdowns. Arenas said, “I didn’t even know I did it I was just returning kicks; it was more so fun then trying to break records.”  In the same year Alabama went undefeated and won the BCS championship.

After his college career was over Arenas headed to the NFL draft and got selected as the 50th overall pick by the Kansas City Chiefs and became Robinson’s third NFL player. As he went into the NFL it was a little harder for him because he had to live up to the other guys talents on the team. Being so talented you would imagine he would have a pre-game ritual but his trick is not to be too uptight and he stays calm and focused. “It’s just like skydiving,” Arenas explained “even after your fifteenth or sixteenth time, you’re still going to be nervous because you just don’t know what is going to happen.”  Even if his team loses a game, he doesn’t make it into a big deal; instead he uses the loss as inspiration to do better next time.