Spring Football Getting Underway

Bailey Adams, Sports Reporter

All around the state, this time of the year is a time for preparation, evaluation, and conditioning for the upcoming high school football season. It is no different here at Robinson, with the team going through conditioning tests early this week. Through one day, Coach Shawn Taylor is satisfied with his team’s performance.

“They went great. All the kids, except for two, made their conditioning goals so I was pretty happy with the progress we made this off-season,” says Coach Taylor, who is entering his second season as the head football coach.

Within the next few weeks, the team will put on pads in preparation for their annual Black and White game on May 17.

“In the spring, our big thing is fundamentals of football, developing the young players, and identifying who is ready to play varsity football in the fall,” states Taylor, who is just as much preparing himself for the upcoming year.

Coach Taylor, who spent over a decade as an assistant on the staff, looks to “go in the direction of the way that I want it to go” this year, as opposed to the way the team was run in the past.

When asked of what he expects from his players in the Black and White game, Taylor said the most important thing is making sure everyone knows their plays. The purpose of the Black and White game is to “see that the team is grasping the playbook on offense and defense,” he added.

The Black and White game is Saturday, May 17, at 7 p.m. Admission is free, but students, faculty, and parents can support the team by purchasing food tickets from any player starting on May 1st. The Knights open the 2014 regular season on Friday, August 29 at Sickles.

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Bailey Adams is an 18-year-old senior at Robinson. He started writing about sports in May of 2013 before joining the RHS journalism staff later in the year. In the fall of 2014, he worked as a correspondent for Tampa Bay HomeTeam, the Tampa Bay Times’ prep sports section. He currently covers the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm for Arena Insider and LSU athletics for Death Valley Voice. He enjoys watching sports with his family. After graduation, he will be attending the University of Central Florida. Follow Bailey on Twitter: @BaileyJAdams22