Preview: Robinson at Sickles

Photo M. Hall

Photo M. Hall

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Friday night, the Knights kick off the regular season after their 30-21 come-from-behind win at Seminole Osceola in last Friday’s preseason tilt. For the second straight season, Coach Shawn Taylor will lead Robinson into the regular season opener against the Sickles Gryphons.

Last season, the Knights struggled through a tough schedule to finish with a 4-6 record, while Sickles played to an 11-2 record, falling in the regional finals to Osceola (Kissimmee).

REWIND: The Knights and Gryphons squared off in the regular season opener last year, with Sickles leaving Jack Peters Field with a 35-14 win. Ray-Ray McCloud III scampered for 201 yards and a touchdown while quarterback Isaac Holder ran for 113 yards and three touchdowns, also adding a passing touchdown to his totals. The Knights offense struggled for much of the game, though then-junior Jahrvis Davenport picked up 182 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Sickles): 

Ray-Ray McCloud III: The standout running back rushed for 2,316 yards in 2013 while finding the end zone twenty-six times. On July 28, McCloud verbally committed to play his college football at Clemson University. The Gryphons’ offense will surely feature a flurry of carries for the senior as he opens his final high school season.

Isaac Holder: Having a star running back will again open things up for Holder, who threw for 1,821 yards and eighteen touchdowns while adding 572 yards and six touchdowns on the ground. The dual-threat senior struggled through the air against the Knights last season but was key in the rushing attack that proved difficult to defend.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson): 

Jahrvis Davenport: Davenport is the most highly-touted wide receiver to come through Robinson in years, picking up over twenty scholarship offers since last season. A year ago, the senior caught thirty-nine passes for 667 yards and eight touchdowns in what was otherwise a rough season for the offense. This summer, he verbally committed to play college ball at the University of Maryland.

Keldric Preston: Another player who will continue to receive some recruiting attention is Preston, the junior defensive lineman that has the size and talent to play at a very high level this season. As a sophomore, he tallied thirty-two tackles (twenty-three solo) and two sacks. In July, he picked up his first D-I college offer from Florida Atlantic.

The Knights and Gryphons are set to kick off at 7:30 this Friday at Sickles High School (7950 Gunn Hwy, Tampa, FL 33626).

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Bailey Adams is an 18-year-old senior at Robinson. He started writing about sports in May of 2013 before joining the RHS journalism staff later in the...