Preview: Robinson at Jefferson

Photo M. Hall

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

After two tough losses to open the regular season, the Knights open up district play on Friday night against the Jefferson Dragons. After ending last week’s game with a little momentum, Robinson hopes to find a spark with a big win on the road this week.

REWIND: In week three of the 2013 season, Jefferson came into Jack Peters Field to hand the Knights a loss on their way to a 10-2 season that saw them reach the playoffs. Then-senior quarterback Deiondre Porter ran for 183 yards and 3 touchdowns on the way to the Dragons’ 39-22 victory. Mondreas Lofton picked up 159 yards and 2 touchdowns on the ground as well. Robinson’s Travis Forehand (playing quarterback at the time) threw for 138 yards and 2 touchdowns, with both scores being thrown to Jahrvis Davenport. Davenport had three catches for 98 yards and those two touchdowns on the night.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Jefferson):

Ernest Mills: The Dragons’ defensive back has racked up 11 tackles (8 solo) so far this season. He leads the team with 4 tackles for loss and 2 sacks so far in 2014. Being Jefferson’s top defensive back, he will likely be tasked with covering Robinson’s big-play receiver Jahrvis Davenport this week.

Cade Weldon: The sophomore quarterback has totaled 262 yards and 4 touchdowns through the air this season while also adding 117 yards and a touchdown on the ground. Weldon appears to be the quarterback of the future for the Dragons after transferring from Berkeley this year.

PLAYERS TO WATCH (Robinson):

Aivory Foster- As a senior, Foster has established himself as one of the Knights’ four captains. Slowed by injuries for part of his career, he still has the explosiveness to break out this year. After a slow start to the season at Sickles, he ran for 55 yards and a touchdown on his eighteenth birthday last Friday at Plant. He also made a profound impact on defense last week as he picked up 4 tackles and a sack.

Anfernee Alston: Splitting carries with Foster is sophomore back Anfernee Alston. He looks to be one of the key members of the Knights’ offense beyond this season, though he is already making an impact in 2014. Last week at Plant, he rushed for 47 yards and a touchdown. His touchdown came from 14 yards out early on to give Robinson a 6-0 lead.

Kickoff for this week’s district opener is set for 7:30 at Jefferson High School (4401 W Cypress St, Tampa, FL, 33607).