College Football Recap- 11/15

College Football Recap- 11/15

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

AROUND THE COUNTRY

Mississippi State/Alabama- Fifth-ranked Alabama handed top-ranked Mississippi State its first loss of the season on Saturday, earning a 25-20 victory at home. The Crimson Tide offense was not especially good on the day, but the defense intercepted Dak Prescott three times and picked up a safety as well. If the Tide can defeat Auburn in the Iron Bowl on November 29, they will clinch the SEC West, sending them to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game the following week.

Auburn/Georgia- SEC Championship Game hopes for the Auburn Tigers are all but finished after being blown out by 15th-ranked Georgia. The Tigers took an early 7-0 lead but allowed 34 unanswered points en route to their second loss of the season. Georgia’s rushing attack was the difference in the game as Nick Chubb rushed for 144 yards and two touchdowns while teammate Todd Gurley ran for 138 yards and a touchdown in his return from suspension. The Bulldogs still have a legitimate shot at the SEC East title, trailing Missouri by 1/2 game with two weeks left.

Nebraska/Wisconsin- 20th-ranked Wisconsin routed 16th-ranked Nebraska on Saturday, picking up a 59-24 win at home. Melvin Gordon solidified his chances to win the Heisman Trophy, rushing for 408 yards and four touchdowns. The Badgers now have the inside track to win the Big Ten West with two weeks left in the season.

AROUND THE STATE

Florida State- Third-ranked Florida State survived another close game, using a late touchdown by Dalvin Cook to escape Miami with a 30-26 victory over the rival Hurricanes. Cook rushed for 92 yards and two touchdowns on just seven carries. The win, paired with a Mississippi State loss, moves the Seminoles (10-0) to the top spot in the new AP Poll released on Sunday. They host Boston College next week.

Florida- Florida had South Carolina beat until the Gamecocks blocked a punt with 39 seconds left, leading to a game-tying touchdown with 12 seconds to go. South Carolina then put the Gators away with a four-yard touchdown run by quarterback Dylan Thompson in overtime. Reports emerged on Sunday that head coach Will Muschamp will no longer be the team’s coach after this season. The Gators (5-4) host Eastern Kentucky next week.

Miami- The Hurricanes nearly had the upset at home over Florida State but allowed a touchdown with just over three minutes to go, ending their chances. Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya threw for 316 yards and two touchdowns in a losing effort. Miami (6-4) play at Virginia next week.

South Florida- USF pulled off a comeback win over the winless SMU Mustangs on Saturday night. Trailing 14-0 in the fourth quarter, coach Willie Taggart made a quarterback change, subbing in sophomore Mike White in place of freshman Quinton Flowers. White led the Bulls back, throwing a four-yard touchdown pass to Andre Davis with four seconds left to tie the game before the extra point gave them a 14-13 victory. USF (4-6) travels to Memphis next week.

Central Florida- UCF picked up a 31-7 win over Tulsa at home on Friday night. Quarterback Justin Holman completed 16 of 27 passes for 291 yards and three touchdowns to put the Knights (6-3) in the thick of the American Athletic Conference race. They host Southern Methodist next week.

Florida International- The Golden Panthers beat Middle Tennessee by a score of 38-28 despite allowing 428 yards of total offense. Anthon Samuel rushed for 120 yards and a touchdown en route to FIU’s (4-7) third conference win of the year. They play their season finale at North Texas next week.

Florida Atlantic- The Owls (3-7) had a bye week this week before playing at Middle Tennessee next Saturday.