College Football Recap- 11/22

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

AROUND THE COUNTRY

USC/UCLA- The 19th-ranked USC Trojans and the ninth-ranked UCLA Bruins met on Saturday night in one of college football’s most intense rivalries. The two teams traded touchdowns early before UCLA turned a 14-14 tie into a 24-14 halftime lead. Two touchdowns in the third quarter put the Trojans away as the Bruins won their third straight in the rivalry series by a score of 38-14. UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns to lead the way while the USC offense totaled just 276 yards.

Kansas/Oklahoma- A 44-7 blowout win for Oklahoma over unranked Kansas would normally hold little importance on the national scale, but Samaje Perine was the story of the day on Saturday. The freshman running back out of Texas rushed for 427 yards and five touchdowns, shattering the NCAA’s single-game rushing record. The previous record was held by Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon (408 yards) for just one week.

Yale/Harvard- Two of the most prestigious schools in the country met on Saturday in one of college football’s oldest rivalries. Harvard held a 24-7 lead over Yale after three quarters, but the Bulldogs fought back in the fourth to tie the it at 24 with 3:44 left in the game. However, with just 55 seconds to go, Conner Hempel found Andrew Fischer for a 35-yard game-winning touchdown, improving Harvard’s record to 10-0.

AROUND THE STATE

Florida State- Different week, same result for the Seminoles as they escaped with another close win over an inferior opponent. After Boston College’s Tyler Murphy tied the game at 21 with 6:12 left, the Seminoles eventually found their stride. A 12-play, 66-yard drive ended with Roberto Aguayo’s game-winning 26-yard field goal. Florida State (11-0) hosts Florida next Saturday in one of the nation’s biggest rivalry games.

Florida- The Gators cruised to a 52-3 victory over Eastern Kentucky on Saturday in head coach Will Muschamp’s final game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Jeff Driskel and Treon Harris split time at quarterback, with Driskel throwing for 164 yards and three touchdowns along with Harris’ 162 yards and two touchdowns. Florida (6-4) is now bowl eligible and will travel to Tallahassee next week to take on the unbeaten Seminoles.

South Florida- Bowl eligibility slipped through the Bulls’ hands on Saturday as they lost at Memphis by a score of 31-20. Freshman Marlon Mack rushed for 102 yards and a touchdown, passing the 1,000 yard rushing mark on the season. USF (4-7) hosts UCF on Friday in their season finale.

Central Florida- The Knights decisively took down the winless SMU Mustangs on senior day. 490 yards of total offense for UCF against SMU’s 116 proved to be the big difference in a 53-7 route. Justin Holman threw for 228 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions for the Knights (7-3). They travel to Tampa for their rivalry matchup with USF on Friday.

Miami- The Hurricanes took a beating on Saturday as they dropped a 30-13 decision on the road against Virginia. Two turnovers and a difficult day for the defense negated a 327-yard performance by the offense. Miami (6-5) will host Pittsburgh in their season finale next week.

Florida International- FIU totaled just 147 yards of offense in a 17-14 loss at North Texas on Saturday. Quarterback Alex McGough threw for just 56 yards on the day while being intercepted three times. The Golden Panthers finish the season at 4-8, three games better than their 1-11 record last year.

Florida Atlantic- FAU dropped a heartbreaker to Middle Tennessee on Saturday by allowing two touchdowns in the final five minutes on their way to a 35-34 loss. The Owls (3-8) amassed 540 yards of offense but failed to put the Blue Raiders away. They host Old Dominion in their season finale on Saturday.