Winter Sports Update: 1/25-1/29

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Update: 1/25-1/29

Captain Charlotte Tuohy ('17) runs toward center court while Jada Flanagan ('18) follows behind.

Photo I. Hanewicz

Photo I. Hanewicz

Photo I. Hanewicz

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Boys Basketball

After a historic 52-45 victory over Jesuit last Friday, the Knights’ first over the Tigers since 2010, Robinson finished out the regular season this week. Tuesday night’s senior night ended in thrilling fashion when Berton Newbill (’16) hit a buzzer-beater from past half-court to give his team a two-point win over Steinbrenner (10-13).

“When I saw it go through [the net], I just couldn’t believe that I had just won us the game and that it was on senior night,” Newbill said. “It meant the world to me. That is something that I will cherish and remember forever.”

The Knights then defeated East Bay (13-11) on Thursday to finish the regular season on a six-game winning streak. Districts will get underway next week, with the tournament being hosted by Jesuit.

“[We need to] just stay level-headed and keep working as hard as we can,” he said. “Anyone can be beat on any given night, so we have to go 110% every night that we play.”

Girls Basketball

The Lady Knights (18-5) took down Jefferson (5-13) on Wednesday night by a score of 56-40 to clinch a spot in Friday’s district final and next week’s regional quarterfinals.

“I think above all, they learned to trust in the program and trust in their teammates,” Robinson head coach Stephanie Sweeney said. “We are aware that the winning streak [at the end of the season] got us to the number one seed in districts, but that’s it. What we do from this point on is what matters.”

Crisheena Rolack (’16) and Christiana Rolack (’18) put up 14 points apiece in the win.

Robinson will travel back to Middleton on Friday to take on Spoto (10-8) in the finals with tipoff coming at 7 p.m.

Boys Soccer

The Knights’ season came to an end in disappointing fashion last Friday as they fell 2-1 in overtime to Middleton.

“It didn’t feel like the end,” team captain Hyun Choi (’16) said. “But I was heated.”

The loss cost Robinson a chance to move on to regionals for the first time in school history. The Knights finished the season at 6-9-1.

Girls Soccer

Robinson finally got over the hump on Tuesday night when they picked up a 3-2 win over Osceola (16-3-1) in the regionals semifinals. Sarah Jennewein (’17) led the way for the Lady Knights, scoring a hat trick. Her game-winning goal came in the 45th minute after the two teams finished the first half tied at two.

The team will make the long trek to Merritt Island (25-0-2) on Friday for the regional finals.

“[We need] to just play the game we know how to. We’ve gotten to the final eight in the state, so that means something has to be working,” team captain Megan Bohan (’16) said. “We’re going to give it all we’ve got and hopefully our game will be as successful on Merritt Island as it has been on Boca Ciega and Osceola.”

Cheer

The Robinson cheer team hit the road to USF on Friday for the state competition. Follow @RobinsonKnights on Twitter or check back later for coverage.

Wrestling

After a tough loss to Riverview last week, the Knights won their 14th straight American Division Championship last Saturday.

“[The team] wrestled within their capabilities,” head coach Thomas Montero said. “I told them not to let their legacies be the ones that let [the streak] go.”

The team’s next obstacle will come on Feb. 12-13 when they head to Wharton for the County Championships.

“[They need to] work hard every single day, practice, compete against each other and try to improve in every tournament before districts.”

Bailey Adams, Sports Editor

Bailey Adams is an 18-year-old senior at Robinson. He started writing about sports in May of 2013 before joining the RHS journalism staff later in the...