Baseball: Knights Fall Short in 4-3 Loss to Alonso

Photo I. Hanewicz

Killian McCray ('17) looks to steal second base during Monday's game against Alonso. McCray scored the game's first run in the top of the second inning.

Macy McClintock, Staff Writer

Coming into Monday’s matchup against Alonso, the Knights were looking for revenge after a 6-1 loss to Alonso earlier in the season. Despite holding the lead for most of the game, the Knights ultimately fell short, losing 4-3 in the second game of the Saladino Tournament.

“[We] were looking for a rematch, another chance at them, and we did that, we played well,” head coach Kevin McCray said about the game. “The biggest thing is, it’s a difference of mentality. It’s one thing to play with one of the best teams in the area, it’s a whole other to be able to put them away.”

Michael Tini (’16) began on the mound for the Knights, striking out four batters and giving up eight hits and three walks through six and two-thirds innings. Luis Feliciano (’16) finished the game on the mound.

Michael Tini ('16) pitched six and two-thirds innings for the Knights.
Michael Tini (’16) pitched six and two-thirds innings for the Knights. This was Tini’s first appearance in the Saladino Tournament for the Knights after not playing in Saturday’s 13-3 win over Blake. (Photo I. Hanewicz)

Alonso’s starting pitcher Ryan Fernandez (’16) threw five and two-thirds innings, striking out three batters and giving up five hits and five walks. Kevin Nunez (’16) finished the game for the Ravens, giving up two walks.

Both the Knights and the Ravens were held scoreless through the first inning, with Killian McCray (’17) being the first to score in the game during the top of the second on a walk and three steals, two from wild pitches. The inning then ended with three strikeouts in a row. The Ravens immediately bounced back in the bottom of the second, taking a 2-1 lead.

But that didn’t stop the Knights, who battled hard in the third inning with base hits by Matthew Steckel (’16), Aaron Scott (’17), Shawn McGory (’16) and McCray, taking back the lead 3-2.

Aaron Scott (’17) readies himself on home plate. Scott had two hits and a .500 batting average for the game. (Photo I. Hanewicz)

The Knights kept the lead until the sixth inning, when Jordan Butler (’17) hit a home run for the Ravens, tying the game 3-3.

In a nail-biting seventh inning, Robinson loaded the bases with no outs, yet were still held scoreless. The Knights caught a bad break in the bottom of the seventh from a single to left, a walk and a base hit down the third base line, ending the game 4-3, with the Ravens reigning victorious and the Knights’ chance for redemption lost.

The Knights face the Lennard Longhorns on Tuesday, March 15 at Sickles High School (7950 Gunn Hwy, 33626) in the third game of the Saladino Tournament, with first pitch scheduled for 10 a.m. Admission is $5, although military personnel and children under six are free. For more information, click here.