Rain delay at football game, band steals the show

Photo M. McClintock

Photo M. McClintock

Macy McClintock, Managing Editor

After over an hour of waiting out multiple lightning delays at the Robinson versus Leto game on Friday, the band took matters into its own hands.

The game was put on a thirty minute lightning delay before kickoff and three later delays occurred before students were advised to seek cover.

Although the game wasn’t officially cancelled, the Robinson and Leto bands headed to the gym to have their own version of Friday night lights, battle of the bands style.

“Although we wanted to be up in the stands supporting the team, it was fun to remind people that this is the start of our season as well,” mellophone section leader Cat Liu (’19) said. “We prepare for competitions just like the football team does so it was nice to see Leto’s football team and all of the cheerleaders at a band centered event.”

The bands took turns playing different stand tunes. Each side played twice, creating quite the performance for the spectators. The cheerleaders and Starlets joined in with the Knights, filling up two thirds of the gym with dancing and instruments.

The battle had no official winner but kept everyone dry as the rain poured down on the football field.

After the battle, the game was officially postponed to Monday at 7 p.m. The Knights will take on Leto at home (6311 S Lois Ave, Tampa, FL 33616).

1 Comment

One Response to “Rain delay at football game, band steals the show”

1. Nancy Klaver on September 5th, 2017 10:57 pm

I would love to get a copy of the picture. Can you email to me. Is there a charge if you can send. Nancy Haynes Klaver class of ’69.

[Reply]

*