Blonde swimmers do it better

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blonde swimmers do it better

Daniel DeYoung ('19), Max Smith ('20) and Matthew Reinecke ('18) all smile with their newly dyed blonde hair before they head to the state meet.

Photo M. Montero

Photo M. Montero

Photo M. Montero

Macy McClintock, Managing Editor

Prior to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janiero, U.S swimmer and 12-time Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte died his hair light blue and earned gold.

Inspired by his  good luck charm, three boys on the swim team, after qualifying for the state meet this past Saturday with their 200 medley relay, decided to mimic Lochte’s way by sporting a new hair style: platinum blonde.

“Last year we really thought we were going to make it to states. It was also the year Ryan Lochte died his hair  and we thought we could be just like him, despite the scandal.” Swim captain and relay member Matthew Reinecke (’18) said.  “It was a novel concept. We wanted to do it as a team bonding thing, but we didn’t qualify for states. But this year we actually made states and decided to do it.”

The relay team, consisting of Reinecke, Chris Quach (’18), Daniel DeYoung (’19) and Max Smith (’20), broke the school record with a time of 1:44 in the 200 medley relay and leave for the state meet today,  Nov. 2. The FHSAA 2A State Championship starts tomorrow, Nov. 3. at the Sailfish Splashpark Aquatic Athletics Center in Stuart, Fla.

“We’re already a really close group of guys,” DeYoung said. “so I think bleaching our hair only brings us closer.”

Along with the relay, Reinecke will compete in the 100 breaststroke, Quach in the 100 backstroke and Smith in both the 200 individual relay and the 100 backstroke.

The once brunette but now blonde-haired bunch is ready to head to Stuart for the state meet- and hopefully follow in Lochte’s footsteps and bring home some gold.

Macy McClintock, Managing Editor

Macy McClintock is a senior and sports editor. She was named the Florida Emerging Young Journalist of the Year in April of 2017. Outside of reporting,...