Weekly recap: 1/29-2/2

Captain Christiana Rolack ('18) dribbles down the court to score as the Lady Knights battle Plant on Wednesday, Jan. 31.

Photo M. McClintock

Photo M. McClintock

Boys Basketball:

The Knights (5-14) took a tough loss on Tuesday, Jan. 30, against Chamberlain 59-57. It was a close game for all four quarters, and even with John Garrett’s (’18) 17 points and an additional 11 from Jovani Saturno (’19), the Knights came up short.

The rest of the 0-3 week for the Knights was bitter, with a 73-39 loss to Plant on Jan. 31 and a 68-49 loss to Freedom at home on senior night and Get Loud! Break the Silence. Click here to see the photo gallery.

“It felt terrible [going 0-3] but we can’t let that hold us back from achieving our goals. Our goals of the season are still ahead of us,” David Jean-Louis (’18) said. “[Senior night] didn’t go our way for us seniors. But for me, I was just happy to play basketball for my teammates and my sisters who watched me play.”

The Knights will play at Sickles High School (17-6) on Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. (7950 Gunn Hwy, 33626).

Girls Basketball:

The Lady Knights (18-2) ended their regular season with a 2-1 week. They had an easy 59-21 win against Chamberlain on Tuesday, Jan. 30. But the Lady Knights got a taste of the blow-out loss on Wednesday, when they took a 64-35 loss to Plant.

“It was a tough loss [to Plant] because we were on a long winning streak,” Kaliah Henderson (’19) said. “However, I believe the loss made the team realize we can’t take our season for granted.”

The Lady Knights came back with a 53-15 win over Freedom at home on senior night.

The Lady Knights are entering the district tournament tonight with an undefeated district record of 6-0. They will play Jefferson at home today, Feb. 4, at 7 p.m. (6311 S. Louis Ave., 33616).

Boys Soccer:

The Knights (3-11-1) ended their season this week in the district tournament. They barely passed through the quarterfinals on Monday, Jan. 29, by beating out Blake 2-1. On Thursday, Jan. 31, the Knights were shut out by Jefferson, ending their season in the district semifinals.

“We can improve on the atmosphere and quality of practice so that we are more prepared for game days,” captain Ryan Wind (’19) said. “I think our biggest problem [this season] was that a few members lacked commitment and it translated on the field.”

Wrestling:

This weekend, the wrestling team competed in the Brandon Wrestling Tournament, with three Knights placing. Isaac Guillermo (‘19) placed fifth, with Devin Janduerez (‘19) right in front of him with fourth place and Jaquan Jackson (’18) taking home the silver, following last week’s win at the Steinbrenner Wrestling Tournament.

‘The Brandon Wrestling Tournament is arguably the hardest (wrestling tournament) in the state,” Jackson said. “However I’m not satisfied with the outcome of being second.

The team will compete in the Wrestling County Championships starting next Friday, Feb. 9, at Wharton High School (20150 Bruce B Downs Blvd, Tampa, FL 33647).