The Knights come back to beat the Dragons 22-19

Chris Stamat ('19) and Tallie Gainer ('19) chase down the Jefferson kickoff returner.

Photo J. Kirk

Photo J. Kirk

Jack Kirk, Staff Writer

Coming off a disappointing loss to the Middleton Tigers, the Robinson Knights beat the Jefferson Dragons 22-19. At one point in the game Jefferson led 19-7, but Robinson managed to come back and walk away with a victory in a key district match-up.

This win gives them a shot at making it to the playoffs for the first time since 2012.

“It was a great win coming off of a tough loss,” Robinson quarterback Kobe Copple (’19) said following the win.

Robinson showed up in all three phases of the game and Jefferson committed several penalties on both sides of the ball, both of which played a huge role in the outcome of the game.

The offense put up three touchdowns, two of which came in the fourth quarter. The first touchdown came in the second quarter on a run from running back Kyriece Lake (’19). Wide receiver Cameron Lockridge (’19) had the second touchdown early in the fourth quarter, putting Robinson within five points from Jefferson. The final touchdown came on a run from Kobe Copple, which was followed with a catch for a two-point conversion from receiver Lothario Overstreet (’19), putting the Knights up three late in the fourth quarter.

The defense struggled early in stopping the Dragons’ offense, but tightened up when they needed to and made key stops that aided in knocking off the district opponent. The most important of those stops came in the final minute of the game, with the Dragons within Robinson’s 10 yard line. The Knights kept the Dragons out of the end zone on four consecutive plays. They stopped the Dragons on the Robinson one yard line to secure the win.

Despite giving up a kickoff return touchdown to start the second half, the special teams unit were just as big of a factor in the victory as the offense and defense, making two crucial plays that contributed to the Robinson victory. Two of the Jefferson extra points were blocked by the Knights, giving the Dragons 19 points instead of 21. This would play a factor later on as with the two-point conversion by the Knights; Robinson had a three point lead and Jefferson could not win the game with a field goal.

“This is the biggest win for Robinson High school football since 2012,” Head coach Craig Everhart said “It was the first time I got to see all three phases of the game.”

Robinson plays their last regular season game against Bloomingdale next friday, November 2 at Jack Peters Field (6311 S Lois Ave, 33616). The playoff bracket will be announced on Tuesday, Oct. 29.