“Robinson flag means family”

“Robinson flag” has become a term that many people around Robinson high school associate with state titles, winning streaks, and above all dedication.

The flag football team has won state championships three years and has appeared in five consecutive state finals, and while they are a dominating team now, they were not always so successful.

In the 2006 season, the flag football team won one game. By the beginning of 2018 they had a 29 game winning streak. So what changed?

According to Head Flag Football Coach, Joshua Saunders, during the summer of 2011 the team undertook a major change when they decided to go from only practicing during the season to practicing for the entire year.   

“At the end of the 2011 season a group of players came and said ‘we want to be better’…we needed to make flag football more of a team dynamic, a culture…more than just a team” Said Saunders, “an all encompassing thing that caused friends to want to be with friends and to play flag football”

After the flag team started to practice throughout the year, they did more than just win games. The team came together and became what is now known as the Robinson flag family.

“We do organized stuff as a team but also just hang out together since we’ve become close friends…the amount of time we spend together has made it feel different than any other team I’ve been on.” Said Lauren King (’18), the 2018 varsity quarterback and captain.

The teams motto for the 2018 season [was] “Robinson flag means family” and the coaches continually emphasized “trusting the process”. These two phrases carried the team through a season that broke boundaries of FHSAA flag football.

During 2018, the flag team lost two games but still went on to win their third state championship, which was an unprecedented event for Florida flag football.

“We were not the same team as last year, different people, different players, different aspect of the team and the attitude.” Kelsey Campbell (’19), a junior on the flag football team, said. “When we lost the two games everyone thought ‘oh Robinsons not at their game, Robinson’s not it’…so we had to show them…we might not be the same team that was undefeated last year but we’re not ready to lose.”

About the Contributors
Nicole Perdigon, Staff Writer

Nicole Perdigon is a junior and is news editor. Outside of journalism, she enjoys hanging out with friends and spending time with my dogs.

Morgan Brazier, Staff Writer

Morgan Brazier is a sophomore and this is her first year on the journalism staff. She spends her free time reading books, watching Netflix, eating pizza and drinking tea.

Natalia McCalla, staff writer
Natalia is a sophomore and staff writer. Outside of room 112, she works at Publix and is a safety and outside receiver for the JV flag football team.